Friday, May 30, 2014

Yurt Deck

The past few weeks have been a whirlwind of work and many 15+ hour days. Quite a bit has been completed and/or nearly done, and Sarah and I are so excited to have a few days off once the yurt is built. I have been told however that once it is completed, that I have a long list of projects....


As the title says, I have been building the deck. For the past few weeks after work with my friend, Geoff, has been willingly helping me build, and thank god because it never would have fabricated without him. Some of the numerous challenges that we have faced have been the intolerable amount of black fly bites and their corpses in our eyes, a death trap of stumps and uneven ground, a ton of heavy shit to carry up the hill to the site, and the biggest one has been the fact that I have never built something like this before. It has required quite a bit of problem solving and some extreme inefficiency! I am going to have to take the lazy route on this one and let the pictures do the talking.











Looking up at the site from the road

The stack of lumber for the deck

Sarah doing what she does best- relaxing
(don't mind the pile of metal behind her. We had to dig it out and remove it from the site from where the old cabin was before it burned down)


The site

Laying out the blocks

Looking towards the road from the site- Our view

View from where the front door will be

Our view from the side of the yurt


Another view from the road up to the site

Silas came out and "helped"!

Base camp

This shelter has saved us from so many bugs

Geoff's dog Alfonzo has been helping every day too!

He isn't quite so sure about our abilities...

Cutting the posts to the correct height. 


I know, we would make a great couple.. 



One of the many hazardous work areas we set up

Our first cross beam

dead level.

First tall ass beam set up

First pain in the ass beam


First time we have 4 beams set up

and here is where we are at now.

We finished putting the home wrap up and some blocking which will need to be continued this weekend, as well as the subfloor and then the plywood band and WE WILL BE DONE...with the deck, at least.

Funny Story:
Last night I came home around 9:30 from working on the deck, which I started right after getting off work at 3:00. I am telling Sarah about how much progress I made and my story goes something like this-
Alexis- "so we got the home wrap up and most of the blocking, but it started getting really dark" (I had been walking on top of the beams which have a 4 foot gap between each one. With the home wrap up and the light being flat, I misjudged where the beam was and nearly fell down 7 feet on top of braces, where I would have possibly broken my back, and then would have been impaled with the stumps below.

Sarah- " I can't believe you tore the home wrap!" 



The truth finally comes out. 
Homewrap section- $5
Alexis- Priceless... oh no, I mean price-less! $0


No comments:

Post a Comment